Team PI (Program Increment) Business Objective Value could be viewed from various perspectives. Here are the different perspectives for consideration when assigning team PI business objective value:
- Market Value — the functionality is a market differentiator?
- Efficiency Value — the functionality reduces operating cost?
- Regulatory Value — the functionality, if not deployed, results in fines?
- Commercial Value — the functionality brings new or maintain revenue?
- Future Value — the functionality enables or realizes future value?
For ‘Planned Business Value’, assign a value from 1 to 10 range (the assignment score) … 1 being least valuable; 10 being most valuable.
For ‘Actual Business Value’, assign a value (assessment score) from 0 to 10 range… considering the aforementioned business value perspectives AND what — i.e. the working software — has actually been delivered to satisfy those business objectives. Well, that was before SAFe 5.0! In SAFe 5.0, the assessment score is based on NOT the value delivered BUT based on the achievement of the Pl Objective as promised during the PI Planning event. Business Value is fleeting — i.e. the target is “moving” — it could diminish within the duration of the PI … so, instead of basing the assessment score on a moving target (i.e. the Business Value), it is now basing the assessment score on the achievement of the promised PI Obvjective.
You will get a FREE SIGNED COPY if/when you register, pay, and complete a class by the Lean Agile Guru.