A Feature could span a series of steps — a workflow — to realized its value. We call these series of steps, ‘Activities’ … or ‘Steps to Value’.
There are two steps to break apart a workflow based Feature into stories.
Step one: lay out all the activities that must happen to deliver the value. What are the ‘Steps to Value’?
For example: a Feature for an ATM machine could be ‘Ability to Deposit a check’.
Think about the customer. The persona of the customer will go through a series of activities:
- Touch the ATM screen to activate the ATM to Human interface screen
- Insert ATM card
- Enter the passcode
- Select ‘Deposit’ option
- Select ‘Deposit Check’ option
- Enter the amount of the check deposit
- Insert the check into the check intake slot
- ATM displays confirmation of receipt
- ATM prints out confirmation receipt
- Presents the main menu
Step two: read on…
To be continued…